Calling all new and experienced users of Open Up Resources 6–8 Math: we have more virtual learning opportunities for you this summer led by our Teacher Leader in Residence, Morgan Stipe.
The Summer Series held in June will have three coaching sessions focused on: building classroom communities as the new school year begins; making the best use of technology; and effectively implementing Math Language Routines (MLRs).
In August, the Lesson Demo Series will be a collaborative workshop that takes a deeper dive into the curriculum through expansive lesson demos. Each session will focus on a single grade level - 6, 7 and 8.
You also won’t want to miss the Virtual Book Study: The 5 Practices that will take closer look at Orchestrating Productive Mathematics Discussions, Second Edition through six, one-hour sessions this September - November.
Read more about each session below and sign up today!
90-minute sessions • @11:00am ET • $49 each or $129 for bundle of 3
- June 16–Building Community in the Math Classroom
The first days of school set the tone and expectations for the school year, especially as learners engage in tasks with active learning, collaboration, and accessibility for all students. Reflect on what makes a classroom community effective, and come away with an abundance of resources to build and enhance the community of your classroom!
- June 23–Tech Tools in the Math Classroom
Let’s investigate technology tools to facilitate math instruction and support learners in your classroom. We will explore using technology with purpose, from Flipgrid, to Desmos and HyperDocs, to Google Suite apps , and more!
- June 30–Math Language Routines (MLRs) for ELL Students and Beyond in the Math Classroom
The 8 Mathematical Language Routines (MLRs) are a vital part of learning for all ELL students, but beyond that, they can have an impact on all learners, from SWD to students working at or above grade level. Experience new and engaging ways to implement these routines and support all learners in your classroom for maximum instructional impact.
LESSON DEMO SERIES
90-minute sessions • @4pm ET • $49/each or $129/series
Let’s do math and collaborate together! Experience an Open Up Resources 6–8 Math lesson from the lens of a student. Then, synthesize each lesson demo and learning goals, and brainstorm with fellow educators using the curriculum. These lessons highlight several instructional routines and Math Language Routines (MLRs) found in the Open Up Resources 6–8 Math curriculum!
- August 9–Grade 6 Lesson Demo
- August 10–Grade 7 Lesson Demo
- August 11–Grade 8 Lesson Demo
Virtual Book Study: The 5 Practices
Dive into the book 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematics Discussions, Second Edition, authored by Margaret S. Smith and Mary Kay Stein, with a virtual PLN! In a problem-based curriculum, like Open Up Resources math curricula, facilitating a task with this framework will result in students making connections to learn grade-level mathematics. These six one-hour sessions will guide educators through a collaborative book study, while featuring tasks from the Open Up Resources 6–8 Math and Open Up High School Mathematics curricula. Let's prepare for more productive discussions as we anticipate, monitor, select, sequence, and connect, together!
PL Dates + Sessions & Descriptions:
- September 7 @ 7:00pm ET – Launching the Book Study! (optional, 1 hour) Let’s kick off our virtual book study! Learn about the technology tools we will be using in our sessions, platforms for collaboration, and how to come prepared for our first official book study meeting.
- September 14 @ 7:00pm ET – Let’s Discuss the Introduction and Chapter 1! (1 hour)
- September 28 @ 7:00pm ET – Let’s Discuss Chapters 2 & 3! (1 hour)
- October 12 @ 7:00pm ET – Let’s Discuss Chapter 4! (1 hour)
- October 26 @ 7:00pm ET – Let’s Discuss Chapter 5! (1 hour)
- November 9 @ 7:00pm ET – Let’s Discuss Chapters 6 & 7! (1 hour)
- November 30 @ 7:00pm ET – Let’s Discuss Chapters 8 & 9! (1 hour)
Price: (two purchasing options)
- $199 for the virtual book study
- $249 for the virtual book study + 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematics Discussions, 2nd Edition by Margaret S. Smith and Mary Kay Stein + swag box
Also available: Purchase this book study for your district!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and pricing.