Open Up Resources is excited to announce enhancements to our highly-regarded Bookworms curriculum through the release of Bookworms K–5 Reading & Writing 1st Edition.The new structure of the curriculum will follow a Module / Unit / Lesson format. From Grade K through Grade 5, the units will use integrated reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language to build knowledge and vocabulary.
Teachers will be provided with grade-specific curriculum guidance and “Teaching Tips” in every lesson plan. Also available to teachers are enhanced professional learning options that include full explanations and examples of more advanced literacy concepts in order to improve teachers’ own knowledge of subjects, as necessary.
Restructured Teacher Manuals for grades K–1 and grade 2–5 will include detailed information about book selection and supports for both struggling and high-achieving students. Educators can also find “Bookworms Evidence” that explains the powerful results districts from across the country reported after implementing the Bookworms curriculum.
Each lesson includes questions and tasks that focus students on understanding the texts. Assessments include teacher guidance for providing feedback, in addition to details for how to interpret student performance.
Every unit ends with a culminating task where students demonstrate their knowledge of the unit’s topic through reading, writing, speaking and listening.
What’s more, revisions to the curriculum also include increased sensitivity to inclusion with an intentional priority to increase cultural representation in the curriculum through text selection.
Here’s a sneak peek of some of the newly featured books sorted by grade level.
- Grade K: The World is Not a Rectangle, Dancing Hands, The Most Magnificent Thing, Can We Ring the Liberty Bell?, Fry Bread, Of Thee I Sing, Ada's Violin, Leo the Late Bloomer
- Grade 1: Little Critter Going to the Sea Park, Frog and Toad All Year, Long, Tall Lincoln, Harriet Tubman: Freedom Fighter, Martin Luther King Jr.: A Peaceful Leader, Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest, Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears, Duke Ellington: The Piano Prince and His Orchestra, My Brother Charlie, Is a Bald Eagle Really Bald?, Wings, The Rainbow Tulip, The Thing Lou Couldn't Do
- Grade 2: The Hopi People, The Cheyenne People, The Cherokee People, The Mohawk People, Magic Tree House Fact Checker: China, Land of the Emperor's Great Wall, Magic Tree House Fact Checker: Ancient Greece and the Olympics, Sounds All Around, Clang! Ernst Chladni's Sound Experiments, Starstruck: The Cosmic Journey of Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Grade 3: Red Kite, Blue Kite, Who is Sonia Sotomayor?, The Story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Biography Book, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
- Grade 4: A Strong Right Arm, Love, Amalia, Starry River of the Sky, Shaking Things Up: 14 Young Women Who Changed the World, Moth and Wasp, Soil and Ocean, Auntie Yang's Great Soybean Picnic
- Grade 5: Half and Half, Messenger Messenger, Hoops